Girls and their Shoes
Girls and their shoes! Some of us have to admit (yes I got my hand up and I'm standing on a chair) that we LUUUURRRRVVVVEEEE our shoes! Whether they are high or low, black or nude, sparkly or plain we love them! Now, if you are like me and loved Sex and the City (SATC) then you remember the shoedrobe Mr Big built Carrie, oh my, is all I could say. I could see all the endless possibilities for my 100's of shoes (actually I probably own 20 now) but I was in total salivation nation! But let's face it, even if we did have a shoedrobe that big it'd probably take us mere mortals a lifetime to wear them! But that's not the point, a girl needs to dream right? So I'm gonna keep dreaming!
Now we have established our mutual love of shoes, let's get down to facts: Do your Shoes LOVE you back? Be honest! If you threw away all the shoes that gave you pain, how many would you have left? Girls I've had to do this and as painful as it was giving them away, my feet loved me for it. Let's take care of our tootsies and keep them sandal worthy with these quick tips...
1) Shoes that aren't leather, tend not to give much, can end up rubbing and giving us blisters (like my two beauties above). In cases like these place a plaster on the part of the shoe that rubs and cut it to the shape of the shoe. Leave about a millimetre overhang of plaster to limit shoe/skin contact. Failing that use a panty liner (a tip I got from a friend in Aldo). It will protect the same, by cushioning your feet and preventing blisters. Who needs to know right?
2) Buy your size! I don't care how gorgeous they are darling, if they don't fit, don't risk it! Corns and bunions are not pretty feet accessories! On that same note, Did you know the best time to shop for shoes are half way through the day or evening? By that time your feet would have naturally swollen, so when you do try on the shoes you'll know how they will actually fit and which size to get. Did you know in the morning your feet are at their smallest because your blood hasn't gone to your feet yet?
3) Give your feet a well deserved pampering by having a foot massage once a month. This will definitely ease muscle tension caused by the constant wearing of our gorgeous heels. Check out Spring In Motion for ultimate diviness.
Protect your Shoes
Now your feet are happy, and protected, let's look after your actual shoes.
1) Slip and slide - Don't you find it annoying, I know I do, when you're wearing shoes that slide on shiny floors? Well you have two choices - A) score the bottom of your shoe to take away the slippery newness of them, or B) I discovered this in a hardware shop; sanding paper tape! It's black sanding paper on one side and sticky on the other. I cover the bottom of all my heels with these and they work miracles, they protect my shoe bottoms and stop me from sliding everywhere. And they don't mark floors unless your doing the moonwalk!
2) Keep your shoes in a cool dark environment, thats if you want them to last! Once sun light hits your shoes they will slowly start to discolour and deteriorate! I learnt that whilst displaying my shoes on my Bookshelf as decor, although it was pretty, it wasn't as forgiving to some of my babies. Tip: Keep your shoes in acid-free paper boxes, they allow them to breath and prevent them from becoming damaged by mildew or dust. Shoe horns are great for keeping your shoes in shape, failing that stuff them with muslin or acid free paper (not newspaper) instead. If you prefer shelving, again keep them in a cool dark place away sunlight and keep them stuffed.
3) Don't get upset with me dolls, but you need to rotate your shoes. Wearing a shoe to death because its comfortable is not acceptable! Buy it twice if that's the case and switch between them, believe me they will last longer. I did that with my first pair of Converse, I wore them until the heel was completely worn and exposing the stuffing. I would suggest planning your outfits around your shoes, that way your shoes can get a good wear and rest at the same time ladies!
4) Keep them wrapped! Have you noticed when you get a new pair of shoes they are wrapped in tissue paper? That is to protect the shoes from rubbing on each other. Whilst your shoes are in boxes keep them wrapped. Or get cotton drawstring bags to keep them safe. If you are going to put two shoes in one bag, wrap them in tissue paper you can get them from wilko or any pound shop or stationers. For patent shoes, this definitely needs to be applied as people tend to dismiss them because they're not leather, but they can stick to each other in warmer temperatures and start to peel, so show them love too!
Before you throw them away
Are you sure your babies can't be salvaged? Simple things like taking them to the heelers to be re-heeled and soled can make a difference. Even finding places that can customise heels that have been scuffed can make a difference. And what about dyeing it another colour? Places like Timpsons or online stores sell dye for shoes to give them a new lease of life. If it's a scrappy sandal and they are loose why not get extra holes punched or change the strap? If it's a court or pain flat shoe, why not embezzle with brooches to make it look unique? Check out this girl - Nu Vogue, she'll show you some awesome tips on how to customise your shoes quickly, easily and on a minimal budget. But if they truly are beyond repair or salvage, throw them knowing they have served you well!
And that's it, quick I know, but if you're looking for more look out for my new youtube vid where I'll give you some extra tips and laughs. In the meantime go show some love to your tootsies and shoe babies,